PROGRAMME OF SPECIFICATIONS
Graduates of this program shall be conferred the Diploma X-RAY technician.
The program is designed to prepare students students for employment as technicians in hospital, clinicals, Diagnostic centers, both federal, state, local government and private organization, also designed to produce personnel who will assists the Radiographers and to be able to carry out some X-Ray Investigations.
STRUCTURE OF THE PROGRAMME
The Diploma X-Ray technician is semester based and structured to last for the years (six semesters) (36 months). This incorporate two semester of supervised practical work experience.
The candidate must possess the following requirements.
- Five (Credits) (in SSCE, GCE, and NECO, which includes mathematics, English Language, Biology / Health Sciences, Chemistry and Physics obtained at not more than two (2) sittings.
- X-Ray Assistant Certificate with O’ level requirement in above will be admitted into 200 levels.
- The X-Ray Technician student most acquires a solid knowledge in Human Anatomy, Radiation Physics, Radiography Positioning, Equipment Operations, and Film Processing. It must be prepared to perform the imaging over any part of the body and produce accurate images that could result in life saving discovery for the patient problems.
- The X-Ray technician student most acquires good communication skills.
Diploma Programme consists of four components knowledge, which are:
- General Studies
- Foundation course
- Professional course
- Practical work experience.
- General Studies Components are as follows:
- Medical sociology
- Intro to physics
- Report writing
- Computer Application
- Foundation courses includes
- Human biology
- Professional Courses: which gives the students the theory and the practical skills needed to practice his field at the clinical levels.
CONDICTIONS FOR THE AWARD OF DIPLOMA
Award of diploma shall be to candidate who successfully completed the programme after passing prescribed course work, examinations and supervised practical work experience. Such candidate should have completed minimum of 75 and 80 semester credit units. The diploma shall be awarded based on the following classifications
- Upper credits
- Lower credits
THE TRAINED X-RAY TECHNICIAN MUST BE ABLE TO
- Produce diagnostic radiograph of all routine x-ray examinations.
- Operate X-Ray equipment efficiently and safely.
- Take all possible precautions to minimize radiation dose to himself/herself other personal and the patients.
- Prepare trays/trolleys for the common special X-ray examinations.
- Carry out simple first aid procedures.
Perform X-Ray officer procedures such as filling patients Records, preparing instructions to patients.